Author Topic: Griff's BMW from Back to the Future 2 (screen-used)  (Read 3389 times)

jchabotte

Griff's BMW from Back to the Future 2 (screen-used)
« on: October 09, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »
Yes, the original.. not a replica!

Hi all.. Paul referred me over to here after replying to the auction of Ecto-1.. Good luck on selling it! (i've noticed some retractions..)

So here's the backstory.

The car is a 1976 BMW 633 CSI that was imported as a grey-market car sometime probably in the late 70's as BMW didn't sell the 6-series in the US until 1977. I'd imagine someone wanted a car with the euro-spec performance. So part 2 goes ahead with production and Arizona Picture Cars gets hired to source out some cars and get them to Jay Ohrberg for modification.. apparently they scouted the local classifieds for "The first cheap european car we could find".. the asking price? $400.

Ao yadda yadda yadda.. they make a movie, the car sits on the backlot for a while looking like this:

and the car heads off to an auto museum in Branson, MO.

So a few years after that, the guy closes the car museum and apparently puts the car in his BACKYARD and leaves it uncovered for a few winters, summers, etc.. and it ends up looking like THIS:

OH NOES!

So they apparently, along the course of time had parts stolen like the back deck, and Paul Sher from Code One Auto had been asked to estimate and perform some work on the car. He had to hack together a reasonable rear deck and then ended up not doing the project.Well, a few years later, a guy by the name of Tate comes along to help rescue the car.

So far it's seen WAY better days, but at least it was garaged with a fan:

(see, the fan?)

Well.. here's where i enter the story.

Originally i was going to purchase the "texaco" car from Tate, as he had that as well.. but i got sniped out at the last moment on ebay. I guess looking back, that's a good thing. So Tate and i had talked before on the bttf.com forums, and i knew he had this car. He kinda felt bad for me for not having won the auction, but i told him that if he ever wanted to sell the Griff car, to let me know. So he said "You're first on my list".. then things trailed off.. that was at the beginning of 2004.

Fast forward to late October and i get an email from him, stating that for various reasons, he decided that he needs to sell the BMW and would like to know if i was still interested.. Surely enough, i still was and decided that I will do it. So come December, my dad and I trek down to GA to pick the car up and trailer it back up here to CT.

Yep.. towed all the way back with a JEEP and a U-haul trailer. Anyone on the east coast remember that huge blizzard in December of '04? We hit that right on the DC Beltway! Not a fun feeling at all. Here i have a piece of movie history on a trailer in a blizzard with nothing but a tarp, and a good driver. (my dad!) quite nerve racking!

So we make it back up, safe and sound. and very tired.. we had an overnight stay in South Carolina at a friend's house which broke up the trip.. but managed to get home at about 1am during the blizzard the next night.

I quickly rent out a local storage unit:

There's another full interior from another BMW (not the one in the previous pics) that came with the car.. that will speed things up and reduce costs dramatically.

Anyways, after a few emails to another friend of my dad's, we confirm that we can get the car to a car show in February if the car is presentable. so without wasting time, i start doing everything i can to scour for missing parts, find a fabricator and get hold of a local guy who is a master at interiors. so off we go!

January 10, 2005,

We haul the car into the garage and him and I don't waste time. I have about 3 weeks to do this.. the big thing is the painting.. i hadn't even gotten a hold of anyone to do that yet.

So we get to work:

and no.. i didn't have time to repair all the rust that was abundant in the car.. not enough time or money to do so.. in a couple years, the car will get a full frame-off restoration.

Backseats in..

Fronts:

Not bad!!

Next post will deal with the exterior.

GBFreek83

Re: Griff's BMW from Back to the Future 2 (screen-used)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
OMG!! BEAUTIFUL WORK!!

Thanks so much for taking it and restoring it!  It's so frigin sad when things like this happen!  Film history!

Good work again!

ectopaul

• Universal Ecto-1
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
WOW! What a great post, welcome aboard and please share more pictures. It's good to see this car has a good home!

Paul

AJ Quick

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:28:09 AM »
That's amazing work so far!

ectopaul

• Universal Ecto-1
  • Administrator